By Cathy Thurber
Have you ever had a claim come through that just made you stop and stare? You actually have to re-read the form just to make sure you read it correctly! There have been a couple that I’ve read through the years that just made me laugh in disbelief. Especially the claim regarding the drunk guy that fell off his friend’s balcony while he was relieving himself….he passed out during his ablutions and toppled right over the rail!
I was perusing the internet as I sometimes do and googled ridiculous insurance claims. Here were a few of my favorites that came up:
- A couple vacationing in southern France filed an insurance claim for the paint on their car after it got licked off by a herd of cows.
- While vacationing in Malaysia a couple had their clothes stolen and scattered around the jungle by a thieving band of monkeys.
- A woman in Sri Lanka was knocked out cold by a falling coconut as she sat reading under a palm tree. Apparently this incident isn’t uncommon and apparently every year about 150 people are killed by falling coconuts.
- A farmer in Minnesota filed a claim on his iPhone when he lost it in the rear end of a cow when he was helping with calving in the middle of the night.
- A couple made a claim on their camera after they lost it over the side of cruise ship trying to film themselves recreating that scene in Titanic.
- A man on vacation in Australia put in a claim on his car after a wild camel supposedly kicked in the door.
Coconuts, the unexpected killer – who knew?!? Perhaps on your next tropical vacation you should stay away from coconut trees. And seeing as half the claims were animal related, you may want to think twice around them, too!
Cathy Thurber has over 10 years’ experience in the insurance industry and likes to think she’s learned a few things along the way, one of which being to not take herself too seriously. She would love to say she has as many cool expertise’s as her fellow blogger, Ken Kukral, but she’s just not as old as him. Cathy is a voracious reader and a total word nerd. Most importantly, she’s been married to her favorite person for almost twenty years and has two kids that she actually likes. However, the dog is her favorite child and she’s been wheedling for a cat for years. Perhaps this is the lucky year?