You know what drives me crazy? Mondays. Mondays make me crazy. I always feel like the weekend was never long enough. I was ruminating on this during my drive in to work this morning while I was in the fast lane behind somebody going the speed limit. Yes – you’ve got it – something else that drives me crazy!! So as I was pondering these two things that absolutely get under my skin I began to prepare a list in my head. I figured I would be oh-so-kind and share my top five with all of you. Because I bet they annoy you, too!
- Slow drivers in the fast lane. I know, I know. I already mentioned that above. But, come on, people! If you are not going 10 miles over the speed limit then you SHOULD NOT be driving in the passing lane. Why? Because you are not passing anybody! They are all passing you. And they’re not telling you you’re number one, either.
- Stepping on Legos. Could anything hurt any more than this? Oh, the agonizing pain! Especially since it is usually so small you never see the darn thing and the surprise on top of the pain just takes the cake. It’s become the perfect curse to put on someone: I hope you step on a Lego. Beware how you use this. It’s a diabolical curse that could come back on you.
- Incorrect spelling in a published document. Now, don’t get me wrong: spelling mistakes in general annoy me. But when the mistakes are in a published document? Dude! Have you ever heard of this thing they call spell-check?!? It’s this fancy new tool you’ve been able to use for, oh, the past few decades. Not to mention a second reading is always good to do. Ya know…so the grammar/spelling police don’t have seizures when they read your work of art.
- That’s right. I’m not even breaking this down to a specific part of Walmart like employees or service. It’s simply: Walmart. I hate that place. I don’t know how I keep ending up back there. And the Walmart by where I live? HORRIBLE. My attitude can go from perfectly pleasant to mostly malevolent within 10 steps. Horrible customer service, long lines (because only two are open), self-check outs that don’t work, rude employees, oh, the list goes on and on.
- Automated answering systems for your utility provider. This includes calling your television or wireless provider. Good God – can I just talk to a human? Pretty please? I’m tired of pushing twenty buttons to get to a real person. It’s exhausting having to repeat yourself when the robot on the other end doesn’t understand you. And to make matters worse, by the time you get to an actual person they ask you some of the same questions just to verify they have the right person! Thanks for wasting my time twice!
I know there are numerous other things that annoy me. These are just the few I picked today, probably resulting from things that happened on my too-short weekend. Because it’s Monday already. And yes, spell-check, I know that previous sentence was a fragment.
Cathy Thurber has over 10 years’ experience in the insurance industry and likes to think she’s learned a few things along the way, one of which being to not take herself too seriously. She would love to say she has as many cool expertise’s as her fellow blogger, Ken Kukral, but she’s just not as old as him. Cathy is a voracious reader and a total word nerd. Most importantly, she’s been married to her favorite person for almost twenty years and has two kids that she actually likes. However, the dog is her favorite child and she’s been wheedling for a cat for years. Perhaps this is the lucky year?