By Ken Kukral
It can never be said enough, but thank you for the business over the past year! In a time when many things are taken for granted, we like to reach out and thank you for doing business with us. We hope that with Thanksgiving being this week you have been blessed over the past year and are thankful for all you have.
There are many little things that I am thankful for in this business, but most of all I am thankful for the following:
1. I am thankful for the narratives you include with your submissions. They “tell the rest of the story” and help me get a full view of the account. Since most of the time we do not actually “see the risk”, we are reliant on your descriptions and information to put all the pieces together.
2. I am thankful for when you tell us what you need. This includes when you need the quote by, suggested pricing and specific terms and conditions you need in order to write the account.
3. I am thankful for loss runs. It takes a little extra effort to get them but helps build the confidence of the underwriters we deal with that the account has had a good track record and helps to show the account in a more favorable light. I am also thankful for when losses are explained. The more we can tell the story of the risk, why the loss happened or won’t happen again in the future or how the loss was truly outside the insured’s control have helped us immeasurably to convince the underwriter on the quality of the risk.
4. I am thankful when you lay out your expectations upfront so we can meet or exceed those expectations. We can’t always meet them but we can tell you at the start of the transaction so that you can adjust or move on.
5. I am thankful for the inquiries. A quick e-mail or call to go over the account will allow us to let you know what we can do so you can best place an account you have on your desk.
6. I am thankful for when we get “last look” on an account. We appreciate the confidence you have in our abilities to help place an account for you and it allows us to “sharpen our pencil” to the best of our abilities.
7. I am thankful that nearly all of you have adapted to accept policies in electronic formats. This has allowed us to save thousands of trees and operate more efficiently.
8. I am thankful when you tell us what additional insured you want on an account (see prior blog entry). This allows us to help do the best job for your client and helps to reduce E&O exposures.
9. I am thankful for your understanding when “things don’t go as planned”. We try every day to be perfect, but being human we are not perfect. We do make mistakes and we look to resolve any problems or situations in the best manner possible for all involved.
10. Finally, I am thankful for all of you being great to deal with. In my nearly 28 years in the insurance business, I have never looked back and wondered if I should have picked a different industry to work in. There are so many great people in this business that it has been a pleasure to work in.
I pray that you have a great and safe Thanksgiving and that you enjoy the time with family and friend.